Latest Posts

smovie Tuneup cannot register installation
Forum: Tuners - Windows 7
Last Reply: jgriffin (Sep 18 2014 11:18 PM)
Silicon hill data
Forum: Windows 7 EPG
Last Reply: Kazdalk (Sep 18 2014 02:46 AM)
8.1 Media Center not waking from sleep to record
Forum: Windows 8: Media Center & OS
Last Reply: Raptor (Sep 18 2014 01:03 AM)
New HTPC Build - Opinions Please
Forum: Windows 8: Media Center & OS
Last Reply: chir (Sep 16 2014 12:15 PM)
new PC home appliance beautifier tool
Forum: Media Center Articles & Guides
Last Reply: chir (Sep 15 2014 12:20 PM)

Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

"Dharma" now available

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Duffy

Duffy

MC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:06 AM

Did an upgrade (arch linux) and noticed xbmc's new add-on feature. After a few minutes, I'm impressed. To quote the >xbmc site:

It’s been a LONG time coming. Too long. But here it is.

XBMC 10.0 “Dharma” is ready for consumption. Those who have been following development know that add-ons are the main focus of this release. In the past, in order to find a new skin, you would have to dig through the forums, find a link, and hope it worked. Ditto for plugins, scrapers, etc.

Those days are over. All of these things are now available within XBMC, no need to put down the remote to find new content or change the look of your HTPC. Just head to the “add-ons” section in the system menu. At the time of this writing, there are 11 different skins available, all with distinct looks and personalities. But we didn’t stop there. Want to watch your favorite youtube videos? Listen to some web radio or podcasts? Install a web interface to control your living-room experience, or even one to manage your media? It’s all available in the new add-ons system. Even before the final release, we have seen an average of 50,000 add-on downloads per day. It’s time for you to see what many others have discovered! And remember, the best part is that the add-ons are very much alive. New ones are being added every day, and current ones are continuously updated.

My recent previous post about video plugins is already obsolete! Couldn't get YouTube working with the old video plugins but had it working in 30 seconds with the add-on. Must away to see what else this version has to delight. :)

Duffy

#2 birdie101

birdie101

MC Mentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

I had been testing one of the release candidates on my office box, and I find the new addon functionality to be quite good too.

I was a little disappointed that the PVR functionality that was originally going to be part of the release was left out. Does anyone know how far away it is likely to be?

Cheers,
Luke

#3 Duffy

Duffy

MC Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1541 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:23 PM

I had been testing one of the release candidates on my office box, and I find the new addon functionality to be quite good too.

I was a little disappointed that the PVR functionality that was originally going to be part of the release was left out. Does anyone know how far away it is likely to be?

Cheers,
Luke

I did notice that mythbox was one of the add-ons, so the PVR functionality they have been speaking of may be via the add-ons. I did try mythbox some time ago and was not impressed. Things may have improved with the add-on. Should be easy to install and try out with the new add-on feature. If you don't like it, just uninstall.

Duffy

#4 Topfs

Topfs

MC Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

I did notice that mythbox was one of the add-ons, so the PVR functionality they have been speaking of may be via the add-ons. I did try mythbox some time ago and was not impressed. Things may have improved with the add-on. Should be easy to install and try out with the new add-on feature. If you don't like it, just uninstall.

Duffy

It (PVR) had to be left out otherwise it wouldn't have been done until 2012, it is not in any way finished.

The mythbox script is NOT the PVR integration which is in the works, its just a dev taking it into his own hands and does an intermediary possibility. If you had used svn repo installer before you can compare that to addon manager in dharma to see what the difference will be when we introduce proper PVR in XBMC.

We have decided to do shorter release cycles which will benefit more users (since most users are not using nightlies) and companies that work with xbmc work with stables, as such we are not sure when PVR will be merged in since it is currently not working in any way as good as it should to be merged. The hope is that atleast some functionality of it will get merged in by eden+1 (which is hopefully 2011), not all but some pieces.

I hope everyone can have understanding of it since its impossible to both eat the cake and have it at the same time, i.e. have PVR and have it stable and have it fast :)

Cheers,
Tobias

#5 PJ

PJ

MC Graduate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

If anybody is interested, there's a couple of ppa's available for ubuntu with the PVR branch merged into the Dharma release and also the main Trunk.

Dharma PPA: >https://launchpad.net/~lars-opdenkamp/+archive/xbmc-pvr
Trunk PPA: >https://launchpad.net/~lars-opdenkamp/+archive/xbmc-master-pvr

I've got the Dharma build installed but haven't had a chance to play with the PVR integration yet, I've been spending all my time getting my remote and USB tuner to work :angry:.

#6 LucasVanStaden

LucasVanStaden

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

/>If anybody is interested, there's a couple of ppa's available for ubuntu with the PVR branch merged into the Dharma release and also the main Trunk.

Dharma PPA: >https://launchpad.net/~lars-opdenkamp/+archive/xbmc-pvr
Trunk PPA: >https://launchpad.net/~lars-opdenkamp/+archive/xbmc-master-pvr

I've got the Dharma build installed but haven't had a chance to play with the PVR integration yet, I've been spending all my time getting my remote and USB tuner to work :angry:.

Hi,

Installed this and it works great (using with tvheadend)
One issue, and I would appreciate if anyone can report their experience.

Using the official xbmc android app, (>http://xbmc.org/freezy3k/2010/07/13/official-xbmc-remote-for-android/) I cannot connect to this ppa version of xbmc. The apps remote control does work, but the actual connection functionality is not working.
Current xbmc works fine, but I really want pvr!

Kudos to anyone who can test this issue, so I can know it is my setup or not.