Latest Posts

Improving audio quality with external DAC
Forum: Motherboards & CPUs - Windows 8
Last Reply: waseem123 (Sep 29 2014 11:06 PM)
What is everyone using as a Media Centre these days ?
Forum: The Ettamogah Pub
Last Reply: ipguy (Sep 29 2014 10:12 PM)
Fetch TV
Last Reply: skypilot (Sep 29 2014 06:14 PM)
Black screen flicker problem with new build
Forum: Windows 7: Media Center & OS
Last Reply: bigdonk (Sep 29 2014 06:52 AM)
Xbox one gets a TV tuner
Last Reply: ipguy (Sep 29 2014 06:22 AM)

Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

Digital radio DAB+ on USB or PCIe

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 parki

parki

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:21 AM

I have also purchased 1 of these, just for the DAB+ Radio as I already have 2 twin DVB-T tuners. I can't even get past the software install. My version of Presto! PVR, which came with the tuner, requires a serial number. But didn't come with any. I have contacted the seller that sold it to me and he assures me that I shouldn't need serial numbers and maybe I should try some other open source or freeware version of software. It's like talking to a brick wall. Does anyone know of other software that is available and will work with this tuner? Mainly just for the DAB+.

I ended up using the serial number "evaluation", which worked but I expect it to timeout after 30 days or so. I too am miffed that the supplier didn't mention the need to purchase additonal software to get it working :mad:. I can't find anything that'll drive the DAB+ functions, but I haven't looked too hard.

Steve.

#62 twinvl

twinvl

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:12 AM

My dongle turned up today and i've had exactly the same experience as parki...
Same Presto PVR version (5.73.00), same looking unit, ezcap brand, no model on the outside but i cracked open the case (you can do it with your fingers) and on the board it says it is an EzTV646 v1.2.
Just plugged into my roof mounted tv aerial that picks up all dig tv stations perfectly, the scan on DAB slows down at the 204 -206MHz but doesn't find the channels. I only wanted it for the DAB+, didn't realise it is such a new thing for PCs.

I was also dissapointed to fine the presto software didn't come with a licence too, but looking back at the ebay listing it did actually say it was evaluation software... it seems to be full functioning, just says 'Evaluation Version' on the TV window.

aanda6,
Would you mind opening up your dongle and seeing if it the eztv646, or something different??
What version of Presto PVR do you have?
I would really appreaciate any help.

It really seems like we are just missing software. Every mention of the eztv646 says it is DAB+...

Cheers,
Darren.

#63 thechad75

thechad75

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:01 PM

I've just opened mine up and it's also the EzTV464 V:1.2. How did you test your unit? I can't get the software to install at all. I was not given any serial numbers at all can't even run it in evaluation mode. Does anyone have a set of evaluation numbers that they can send me? Due to this I have not been able to test my DAB+ tuner at all and currently don't even know if it works in the first place. I have tested the DVB-T tuner in MCE7 and it works (all be it pretty crap) but as I previously mentioned I specifically bought it for the DAB+ Radio.

#64 aanda6

aanda6

MC Mentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

I actually purchased my unit direct from the manufacturer as I was looking at importing these into the country, i am not going to proceed as I am not overly impressed with the unit.
I am uploading a version of the software that I have with required serial and will pm the people that need it with a download location. Do not expect miracles from this card as the old adage rings true " you get what you pay for".

#65 aanda6

aanda6

MC Mentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:38 PM

OK. Anyone that wants to try this version is welcome to. >http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K31GHJVH . let me know if this does not work as I have another version at home as well!

Everything needed is inside the folder.

#66 aanda6

aanda6

MC Mentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

I've just opened mine up and it's also the EzTV464 V:1.2. How did you test your unit? I can't get the software to install at all. I was not given any serial numbers at all can't even run it in evaluation mode. Does anyone have a set of evaluation numbers that they can send me? Due to this I have not been able to test my DAB+ tuner at all and currently don't even know if it works in the first place. I have tested the DVB-T tuner in MCE7 and it works (all be it pretty crap) but as I previously mentioned I specifically bought it for the DAB+ Radio.

If you have any issues with you signal this tuner will not work very well in MCE. I replaced all my coaxial cable and installed a new masthead amplifier before this worked (tuner is much more sensitive than other I own)

#67 thechad75

thechad75

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:08 PM

OK. Anyone that wants to try this version is welcome to. >http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K31GHJVH . let me know if this does not work as I have another version at home as well!

Everything needed is inside the folder.

I downloaded it and I finally at least got the software working but I'm still having problems. I got the DVB-T and FM fully working. The DAB+ Radio finds 31 radio stations but none of them actually work. It keeps telling me "Searching for signals...".

#68 aanda6

aanda6

MC Mentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

Obviously your signal strength is not strong enough. Are you using the supplied antenna or connected to a rooftop antenna? I was able to pick up DAB+ with the supplied but weak on some stations, when attached to my household antenna radio strength is fine (still weak DVB-T)

#69 thechad75

thechad75

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:18 AM

I'm using a rooftop antenna. Going by the signal strength meter on the Presto! PVR software whilst using the DVB-T tuner it has 10 bars on it. The first 3 are red, the next 2 are yellow the next 2 are a slightly lighter yellow and the last 3 are light blue. I'm guessing that it should be a little stronger for it to work. Can someone that has perfect signal strength tell me what it should look like.

Edited by thechad75, 13 May 2010 - 09:09 PM.

#70 logifuse

logifuse

Grand Poobah

• Global Moderators
  • 11199 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:43 AM

Just a little spanner in the works, while your TV antenna should work OK, DAB+ is the opposite polarity to DVB-T (vertical antenna vs horizontal one), so it's not optimum. Tuned perfectly for the frequency DAB+ is on though - right in the middle of VHF Band III, so in most cases it should be OK.

In my short experience with DAB+ (non PC), the telescopic whip antennae in the radios picks up the signal no probs, so the tuner in these USB units must be pretty weak.

Justin

#71 aanda6

aanda6

MC Mentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 02:54 AM

, so the tuner in these USB units must be pretty weak.

Justin

Correct Justin. This is what I have been saying for a couple of months now, without optimum conditions this tuner is sh**!

#72 aanda6

aanda6

MC Mentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:13 AM

I'm using a rooftop antenna. Going by the signal strength meter on Presto! PVR software has 10 bars on it. The first 3 are red, the next 2 are yellow the next 2 are a slightly lighter yellow and the last 3 are light blue. I'm guessing that it should be a little stronger for it to work. Can someone that has perfect signal strength tell me what it should look like.

I will upload a newer version of the software in the morning when I get to work as my internet is slowed at home:( . Use the same serial as supplied. This should fix the issues you are having. Make sure to rompletely remove prior install first.

Edited by aanda6, 13 May 2010 - 03:37 AM.
Better information available

#73 twinvl

twinvl

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:57 AM

Thanks so much for your help aanda6,

Using the newer version i get channels but still no sound, and i get this error when changing channels and the progam crashes -

NewSoft MPG-4 Audio Decoder
SetOutputFormatByInputFormat failed

I don't really care if it is crap, as long as it works, i just want to try it out.
I'll look forward to an update!

Thanks.

#74 aanda6

aanda6

MC Mentor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

Try this version, I think it will remove some of the problems >http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XY3RZ4C8 use same serial number.

#75 twinvl

twinvl

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:51 PM

Thanks again, it works!!!
It still wouldn't work on my Win7 laptop so tried it on my XP laptop and it worked straight off.
So i uninstalled everything again and reinstalled on Win7 and this time it worked! it does get a CRC error on the install, but it doesn't seem to haave any problems? Presto PVR V5.73.03. Realtek driver v86.1.128.2010, 28/1/2010.
This is the ezcap model CVMK-K84 on the box, and EzTV646 on the PCB. Ebay $35 delivered!

I'm just plugged into my roof TV aerial and have full signal. Some stations are burbly but most are perfect.
The small supplied aerial will actually work but i need to move it around to get a good enough signal, same as dig TV. I'm in Box Hill, don't know if this is a particulary good area or not? With the small amount of experience i've had with other tuner card i'd say this one is on par for reception quality??

Cheers,
Darren.