I have now finally released a first version of this as part of the latest version of DVBGuide. This provides a much simpler (in terms of both installation and use) alternative for anyone still using SmartGuide, QuickGuide or Bladerunner. Also, it works with Vista (which isn't the case with some of those other utilities).
Some things to note:
- It loads data in Microsoft's proprietary format (i.e. not XMLTV);
- It will not work if TV Pack 2008 is installed on Vista;
- It will not work on Windows 7;
- Categories are English language only;
- If the Media Center UI is running whilst the EPG is updated, the UI must be restarted before the new data is displayed.
The main purpose of the Guide loader utility is as a companion to DVBGuide (which can generate EPG data in Microsoft's proprietary Media Center Guide format). However, as long as the loader is given EPG data in the right format it will load it. So, the loader could be used with other sources of EPG data.