Latest Posts

Aviate Invite Code?
Forum: The Ettamogah Pub
Last Reply: TiggerK (Apr 19 2014 06:27 PM)
Open Mesh WiFi Network
Last Reply: Dinks (Apr 17 2014 11:04 PM)
MC struggles with channels with Dolby Digital Plus
Forum: Windows 8: Media Center & OS
Last Reply: Jebidiah (Apr 17 2014 04:31 AM)
Moving RAID to Larger Drives
Last Reply: TiggerK (Apr 15 2014 01:42 AM)
Best Server Options
Last Reply: logifuse (Apr 14 2014 09:17 PM)

Recent Topics

Photo
- - - - -

Audio over HDMI from Nvidia 8600GT?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 andrewc

andrewc

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:33 AM

I have most of the components softed for my HTPC build, but I'm still a little unsure about HDMI connectivity. I'm running HDMI cables thru the walls in our new house to a 720p projector and 720p LCD TV, and want these to carry video and sound from the HTPC. I was looking at using a Gigabyte GV-NX86T256H (Nvidia 8600GT) card but its not clear how I would combine the SPDIF header on the motherboard with the 8600GT to get audio and video over a HDMI cable. Surely this is a common requirement? If it won't work with 8600GT can anyone recommend an alternative graphics card? I'm was planning on using a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Mobo. By the way, I'd like to be able to run Svideo to a 21" CRT for the next few months until we move house.

Cheers

#2 andrewc

andrewc

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 04:52 AM

I've found an MSI 8600GTS that does HDMI, but it is not passively cooled. Anyone know any other very quiet or silent 8600GT cards (or similar) that support HDMI?

#3 andrewc

andrewc

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:38 PM

Looks like there is a new version of the MSI NX8600GT-T2D256EZ that takes a S/PDIF input to give digital audio via a DVI to HDMI adapter. Details here >http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=1195

Anyone seen this card for sale anywhere yet?

#4 MperR

MperR

MC Graduate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:09 AM

Hi Andrew

I haven't seen the MSI card you're talking about, but I have been having some audio problems of my own and just thought I would offer a suggestion.

I actually have that Gigabyte 8600GT that you mentioned. There is no way to get audio into the card. Only problem is that it seems to give off a signal that makes the cable think there is audio, so perhaps it was/is a feature that might be implemented.

Anyway, I've since purchased an ATI HD2600XT. You can get a Gigabyte one which uses the same heatsink as that on the 8600GT. I'm wishing I did get that now. I got a Sapphire one instead (with a fan, which is noisier than I would like).

The reason I got the Sapphire was that it comes with the ATI DVI-HDMI dongle. The HD2xxx cards have an audio controller as well, so with that dongle (can't just use a standard DVI-HDMI adapter by the way) you can get video and audio.

What I've found though is that the ATI is a bit more of PITA than the Nvidia. Through the HDMI cable I can't see the boot up (so can't go into bios) and seems a bit more fidgety all round.

Regards
MperR

#5 andrewc

andrewc

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback MperR. I spoke to someone at playtech.co.nz yesterday and he was able to shed some light in this. Apparently the MSI NX8600GT-T2D256EZ does come with the S/PDIF header input and DVI to HDMI adapter in some parts of the world, but not Australasia.

To me, a key point here is the ATI HD2xxx cards have a audio controller as you say, whereas it seems the nvidia 8600GT cards with the S/PDIF input simply pass audio through. My hope was that since the card is simply passing through the audio, I might be able to get digital audio out the motherboard S/PDIF out and the 8600GT HDMI at the same time (S/PDIF to my non-HDMI receiver, and HDMI to my LCD TV).

#6 pietro99

pietro99

MC Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

This whole audio thing seems to get more and more confusing, especially with the latest HD audio standards.

I have the Gigabyte 8600GTS fanless and use DVI/HDMI into my TV, and SPDIF out for DD and DTS. This works through VMC but not PowerDVD at this stage.

#7 Kraziman

Kraziman

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for the feedback MperR. I spoke to someone at playtech.co.nz yesterday and he was able to shed some light in this. Apparently the MSI NX8600GT-T2D256EZ does come with the S/PDIF header input and DVI to HDMI adapter in some parts of the world, but not Australasia.

To me, a key point here is the ATI HD2xxx cards have a audio controller as you say, whereas it seems the nvidia 8600GT cards with the S/PDIF input simply pass audio through. My hope was that since the card is simply passing through the audio, I might be able to get digital audio out the motherboard S/PDIF out and the 8600GT HDMI at the same time (S/PDIF to my non-HDMI receiver, and HDMI to my LCD TV).

>http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=MSI+NX8600GT-T2D256EZ+

#8 andrewc

andrewc

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:09 AM

>http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=MSI+NX8600GT-T2D256EZ+

Not sure what you are trying to say with your link. I know the card MSI NX8600GT-T2D256EZ is available, just not with the S/PDIF header and DVI to HDMI adapter that comes with the same model in other parts of the world.

#9 Kraziman

Kraziman

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

Not sure what you are trying to say with your link. I know the card MSI NX8600GT-T2D256EZ is available, just not with the S/PDIF header and DVI to HDMI adapter that comes with the same model in other parts of the world.

It's an optional extra right? Can't you just buy the HDMI connector and SPDIF cable when you purchase the card? I am looking at the same card. From the people I plan to buy it from, it sounds like the "extras" are available. >http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/mwaveAU/productdetail.asp?SKU=42021147 I will drop them an email an ask.

#10 andrewc

andrewc

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:37 PM

It's an optional extra right? Can't you just buy the HDMI connector and SPDIF cable when you purchase the card? I am looking at the same card. From the people I plan to buy it from, it sounds like the "extras" are available. >http://www.mwave.com.au/newAU/mwaveAU/productdetail.asp?SKU=42021147 I will drop them an email an ask.

Did you get a reply to your email?

#11 jvesey

jvesey

MC Journeyman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:27 PM

< from MIS Website

HDMI with Audio Integration Solution (Optional)
The NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 8 Series graphics card supports HDMI with audio integration solution. With a DVI-to-HDMI adapter and an extra signal cord through the bracket, audio source from sound card(S/PDIF) can be integrated into HDMI interface by simply plugging the cord into the pinhead located on graphics card. Only 1 single HDMI cable is required while streaming audio/video data to flat-panel display devices, such as Plasma/LCD TVs, or projector.

/>

Not clear on what this is saying? i.e. "Extra signal cord through the bracket" - What does this mean. I would expect that if there is a pin header that allows one to connect s/pdif from the MOB to the graphics card - then there should be a native HDMI port on the card. Are they saying that there's another cable that connects from the card into the dongle along with / in addition to the DVI interface??:confused:

#12 Kraziman

Kraziman

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:02 AM

Did you get a reply to your email?

Still no reply.

Not clear on what this is saying? i.e. "Extra signal cord through the bracket" - What does this mean. I would expect that if there is a pin header that allows one to connect s/pdif from the MOB to the graphics card - then there should be a native HDMI port on the card. Are they saying that there's another cable that connects from the card into the dongle along with / in addition to the DVI interface??

My understanding is the hole in the bracket is to allow a s/pdif cable to pass externally from your sound card (assuming you have one) through the hole and into the graphics card. If you use on-board sound then there is no need to run the cable external (cable from mobo to graphics card internal).

Some cards have a HDMI port (1.2) and some have dual DVI. The cards that have dual DVI but say can do HDMI need a DVI to HDMI converting plug.

#13 kg99

kg99

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hi..
I've been looking at various Leadtek cards and have noticed that they offer a HDMI version that uses either an external SPDIF connection or internal one.
There are 2 SPDIF connections on the card, one external and one internal.
So if your MB didn't have an internal connection you could always use the external.
This might be similar to the MSI cards.
Note the Leadtek cards with HDMI have fan cooling.. :(
>http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/support/faq.asp?faqlineid=87&lineid=1
Cheers..

#14 andrewc

andrewc

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:51 AM

In the end I went for a MSI 8500GT heatsink. It has an SPDIF input on the card, but I stuffed up: the SPDIF header on my gigabyte motherboard that I thought was an output, is actually an input so I have a run a cable from the rear connector back through the hole in the card.

#15 DarkCloud

DarkCloud

MC Apprentice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:40 PM

Is this problem limited to the 8600GT chipset ? I'm about to buy an HDMI equipped telly, and am concerned if I connect my 7600GT with a DVI->HDMI cable to the TV I'll lose sound too.